Trash & Recycling Information
We are pleased to announce that the Borough will begin taking appointments for the reinstatement of bulk pick-up beginning Monday, April 12, 2021 at 9:00am.
CLICK HERE for more information.
Garbage & Bulk Waste Collection
- Place items out the night before they are scheduled to be picked up.
- Place your automated garbage can curbside in full view, avoiding parked cars and any other obstuctions. Must be at least 4 feet away.
- Any container left out for garbage containing recyclables will be left!
- If you have extra garbage or bulk items that will not fit in your can call the Department of Public Works for a bulk pick up at 732-632-8519.
- Bulk Trash Examples: Couch, mattress, furniture, empty paint cans (Lids Off), carpeting (must be cut to 4ft. rolls, 50 lbs. per roll, and tied), lumber 4ft. bundles and tied. 50 lbs.
- Each Bulk Trash Item or bundle counts towards the 5 limit!
- The Borough does NOT collect construction & demolition debris such as sheet rock, shingles, and lumber in excess of allowable limit.
- For gas, pesticides, paint, driveway sealer and other such household hazardous wastes call Middlesex County at 732-745-4170 .
- Please avoid calling about missed items until 1:00 pm. In most instances, the problem can be rectified promptly.
Because of changes in the recycling market and the escalating cost to process the Borough’s recycling, the following update to DPW’s recycling program is now in effect.
Only the following materials are to be placed in the recycling container for pickup weekly by Metuchen DPW:
Glass Bottles & Jars
Plastic Bottles with #1 code or #2 code found on the bottom
Common examples of code #1 & #2 plastics include but are not limited to: water, soda, milk, and juice bottles, laundry detergent and most toiletry bottles. Be sure to check for the recycling symbol on the bottom of your plastic containers. The number inside of the recycling symbol indicates the type of plastic.
PLEASE NOTE: Clean recycling only - the above listed materials need to be clean in order to be recycled. Please rinse to remove any food or beverage before placing in recycling container. Anything that contains food or beverage must go into the garbage.
Corrugated cardboard – cardboard must be clean
Mixed paper (magazines, office paper, junk mail, cereal boxes)
All other materials, including plastic bottles not marked #1 or #2 and non-corrugated cardboard, must be discarded in the regular trash.
DROP-OFF RECYCLING CENTER CLOSED AS OF OCTOBER 1, 2018
NO CHANGE IN WEEKLY RESIDENTIAL RECYCLING PICK-UP
E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
In response to escalating costs the Borough incurs to process recycling materials, the drop-off recycling center on Jersey Ave. operated by Metuchen DPW is now closed. Recycling materials will not be accepted at the drop-off center. This change was made to minimize the financial impact of the drastic changes in the recycled materials market primarily caused by China’s decision to stop accepting recycled materials from the US and other countries.
Businesses, contractors, and condo/apartment complexes that currently use a private hauler for their garbage will need to contract with a 3rd party hauler to remove their recycling materials, including cardboard. DPW will no longer pick up recycling from businesses that use private garbage haulers.
- For downtown businesses and condo/apartment complexes where DPW provides garbage pickup, DPW will continue to pick up recycling and cardboard
- Tire drop off centers are available at municipal recycling centers at the following locations in Middlesex County: Woodbridge, East Brunswick, Sayreville and Plainsboro.
- Cooking oil is accepted at municipal recycling centers in South Plainfield, Woodbridge, East Brunswick, Old Bridge and Monroe.
- Please check the Middlesex County Solid Waste Management website for updated information at http://www.middlesexcountynj.gov/recycle
- Recycling calendars are available on the Borough website ( metuchnnj.org ) and printed copies are available at the DPW building, Borough Hall, Metuchen Library and Senior Center.
- DPW does not pick up TVs or electronics. See information below for facilities that accept electronics.
- Place items out the night before they are scheduled to be picked up. DO NOT PLACE CANS OR ITEMS OUT BEFORE 6PM the night before scheduled pickup.
- Place all items curbside in full view, avoiding parked cars.
- Check your schedule for all HOLIDAYS!
- Remember that different trucks collect different items.
- Please avoid calling about missed items until 1:00 p.m. In most instances, the problem can be rectified promptly.
- The map to the right shows the four regions of Metuchen created by using Main Street and the Pennsylvania Rail Road as dividers.
- Determine where you are located and you will be in one of the following zones: NE, NW, SE, SW
Residents may mix aluminum, glass, tin and plastic cans, mixed paper and cardboard all together in the blue automated recycling container on their scheduled day for Single Stream Recycling.
Residents can call DPW (732-632-8519) to schedule pick-up of oversized cardboard that won't fit in blue automated recycling container.
The following items can be picked up at the curb when left out properly.
- Garbage & Bulk
- Mixed Paper & Corrugated Cardboard
- Aluminum Cans
- Steel & Tin Cans
- Plastic (1-2)
- Glass Bottles
- Yard Waste (Leaves, Brush & Tree Parts)
- X-mas Trees.
DPW does not pick up TVs or electronics. Please see the resources listed below where you can drop off electronics.
The NJDEP has compiled a list of locations that will accept your consumer electronics at no charge.
Two locations that are on that NJDEP list are:
Staples stores (for printers, computers, computer monitors and fax machines only – no televisions )
New Tech Recycling (for all covered electronic devices) Televisions, computers, monitors, fax machines and printers .
Phone #- 732-564-3110
You can also visit the New Jersey E-cycles Webpage here @ www.nj.gov/dep/dshw/ewate/index.html or call 866-DEP-KNOW.
Please call the location ahead to confirm this service is ongoing and applicable .
NO COMMERCIAL OR BUSINESS DROP OFF WILL BE PERMITTED.
- Newspaper including any inserts (glossy or newsprint).
- Magazines, junk mail, cereal boxes, shoeboxes, office paper, telephone books, brown grocery bags, gift-wrapping & corrugated boxes are all acceptable mixed paper & corrugated recyclables.
- The pages of any book may also be collected, provided that hard covers are removed and placed out for trash.
Aluminum Cans and Foil
- Soda, Beer & Juice Cans.
- Pie plates
- Foil Scrap
Steel and Tin Cans
- Soup, Pet food, empty aerosol cans and similarly constructed containers.
- Only glass containers that contained food or drink.
- Ceramics, porcelain, mirrors, glass windowpanes, etc. are not recyclable.
- Only plastics with a 1 - 2 in the recycling symbol on the bottom are recyclable.
- Plastic grocery bags are not recyclable.
- Discarded plastic garbage containers will be taken as bulk trash. Please indicate with a note.
- An appointment is ALWAYS needed to collect metal items.
- Call by 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday for pick-up 732-632-8519.
- Metal appliances, cast iron sink or tub, lawn furniture, stove, washer, dryer, window frames (glass removed for regular garbage collection--not recyclable), door frames, sofa bed frameworks (separated from sofa), pipes and any other item or items existing of a metal component can only be picked up when you call.
Grass and Yard Waste
- WHEN POSSIBLE CUT IT AND LEAVE IT!
- Grass Clipping Information (pdf)
- Weeds, tomato & flower plants, and small hedge clippings – Place in garbage cans or biodegradable bags. Maximum 50 lbs. per container or bag.
- NO YARD WASTE WILL BE COLLECTED IN PLASTIC BAGS!
- Leaves - Collected in paper biodegradable bags only. Do not place leaves in street or out in plastic bags or garbage cans.
Brush and Tree Parts
- Branches, twigs, shrubs and heavy vines. 4-inch diameter or smaller, bundled in 4ft. lengths, tied or in containers. WHEN COLLECTED CURB SIDE, UNLIMITED IF TIED IN BUNDLES 50 LBS. AND UNDER.
- Brush and tree parts will no longer be accepted at the recycling center at any time. All brush and tree parts will be picked up curbside only. Please remember to follow proper cutting and tying necessary for pick-up.
- X-mas trees will not be collected in plastic bags! If you have an artificial X-mas tree to be picked up you would need to call for a bulk trash pick up.
Medication / Drop off Boxes
Drop off for old medication is available at Edison Police Department and also Woodbridge Police Department.
|Trash & Recycling|