DROP-OFF RECYCLING CENTER CLOSED AS OF OCTOBER 1, 2018
NO CHANGE IN WEEKLY RESIDENTIAL RECYCLING PICK-UP
E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
In response to escalating costs the Borough incurs to process recycling materials, the drop-off recycling center on Jersey Ave. operated by Metuchen DPW is now closed. Recycling materials will not be accepted at the drop-off center. This change was made to minimize the financial impact of the drastic changes in the recycled materials market primarily caused by China’s decision to stop accepting recycled materials from the US and other countries.
Businesses, contractors, and condo/apartment complexes that currently use a private hauler for their garbage will need to contract with a 3 rd party hauler to remove their recycling materials, including cardboard. DPW will no longer pick up recycling from businesses that use private garbage haulers.
- For downtown businesses and condo/apartment complexes where DPW provides garbage pickup, DPW will continue to pick up recycling and cardboard
- Tire drop off centers are available at municipal recycling centers at the following locations in Middlesex County: Woodbridge, East Brunswick, Sayreville and Plainsboro.
- Cooking oil is accepted at municipal recycling centers in South Plainfield, Woodbridge, East Brunswick, Old Bridge and Monroe.
- Please check the Middlesex County Solid Waste Management website for updated information at http://www.middlesexcountynj.gov/recycle
- Recycling calendars are available on the Borough website ( metuchnnj.org ) and printed copies are available at the DPW building, Borough Hall, Metuchen Library and Senior Center.
- DPW does not pick up TVs or electronics. See information below for facilities that accept electronics.
- Place items out the night before they are scheduled to be picked up. DO NOT PLACE CANS OR ITEMS OUT BEFORE 6PM the night before scheduled pickup.
- Place all items curbside in full view, avoiding parked cars.
- Check your schedule for all HOLIDAYS!
- Remember that different trucks collect different items.
- Please avoid calling about missed items until 1:00 p.m. In most instances, the problem can be rectified promptly.
- Recycling Calendar for July August September 2020
- Recycling Calendar for October November December 2020
- The map to the right shows the four regions of Metuchen created by using Main Street and the Pennsylvania Rail Road as dividers.
- Determine where you are located and you will be in one of the following zones: NE, NW, SE, SW
Residents may mix aluminum, glass, tin and plastic cans, mixed paper and cardboard all together in the blue automated recycling container on their scheduled day for Single Stream Recycling.
Residents can call DPW (732-632-8519) to schedule pick-up of oversized cardboard that won't fit in blue automated recycling container.
The following items can be picked up at the curb when left out properly.
- Garbage & Bulk
- Mixed Paper & Corrugated Cardboard
- Aluminum Cans
- Steel & Tin Cans
- Plastic (1-2)
- Glass Bottles
- Yard Waste (Leaves, Brush & Tree Parts)
- X-mas Trees.
DPW does not pick up TVs or electronics. Please see the resources listed below where you can drop off electronics.
The NJDEP has compiled a list of locations that will accept your consumer electronics at no charge.
Two locations that are on that NJDEP list are:
Staples stores (for printers, computers, computer monitors and fax machines only – no televisions )
New Tech Recycling (for all covered electronic devices) Televisions, computers, monitors, fax machines and printers .
Phone #- 732-564-3110
You can also visit the New Jersey E-cycles Webpage here @ www.nj.gov/dep/dshw/ewate/index.html or call 866-DEP-KNOW.
Please call the location ahead to confirm this service is ongoing and applicable .
NO COMMERCIAL OR BUSINESS DROP OFF WILL BE PERMITTED.
- Newspaper including any inserts (glossy or newsprint).
- Magazines, junk mail, cereal boxes, shoeboxes, office paper, telephone books, brown grocery bags, gift-wrapping & corrugated boxes are all acceptable mixed paper & corrugated recyclables.
- The pages of any book may also be collected, provided that hard covers are removed and placed out for trash.
Aluminum Cans and Foil
- Soda, Beer & Juice Cans.
- Pie plates
- Foil Scrap
Steel and Tin Cans
- Soup, Pet food, empty aerosol cans and similarly constructed containers.
- Only glass containers that contained food or drink.
- Ceramics, porcelain, mirrors, glass windowpanes, etc. are not recyclable.
- Only plastics with a 1 - 2 in the recycling symbol on the bottom are recyclable.
- Plastic grocery bags are not recyclable.
- Discarded plastic garbage containers will be taken as bulk trash. Please indicate with a note.
- An appointment is ALWAYS needed to collect metal items.
- Call by 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday for pick-up 732-632-8519.
- Metal appliances, cast iron sink or tub, lawn furniture, stove, washer, dryer, window frames (glass removed for regular garbage collection--not recyclable), door frames, sofa bed frameworks (separated from sofa), pipes and any other item or items existing of a metal component can only be picked up when you call.
Grass and Yard Waste
- WHEN POSSIBLE CUT IT AND LEAVE IT!
- Grass Clipping Information (pdf)
- Weeds, tomato & flower plants, and small hedge clippings – Place in garbage cans or biodegradable bags. Maximum 50 lbs. per container or bag.
- NO YARD WASTE WILL BE COLLECTED IN PLASTIC BAGS!
- Leaves - Collected in paper biodegradable bags only. Do not place leaves in street or out in plastic bags or garbage cans.
Brush and Tree Parts
- Branches, twigs, shrubs and heavy vines. 4-inch diameter or smaller, bundled in 4ft. lengths, tied or in containers. WHEN COLLECTED CURB SIDE, UNLIMITED IF TIED IN BUNDLES 50 LBS. AND UNDER.
- Brush and tree parts will no longer be accepted at the recycling center at any time. All brush and tree parts will be picked up curbside only. Please remember to follow proper cutting and tying necessary for pick-up.
- X-mas trees will not be collected in plastic bags! If you have an artificial X-mas tree to be picked up you would need to call for a bulk trash pick up.
Medication / Drop off Boxes
Drop off for old medication is available at Edison Police Department and also Woodbridge Police Department.