Metuchen’s animal control and sheltering are handled by the Township of Edison through a shared services agreement:
- Animal nuisance complaint investigations and inquiries
- Investigation of animal bites
- Quarantining and releasing domestic animals involved in bites
- Picking up injured animals (wildlife, domestic)/ dead domestic animals (dogs or cats)
- Picking up wildlife inside of a resident's living quarters
- Picking up stray domestic animals (cats/dogs). Animal Control normally does not pick up stray cats however, since many pet cats are indoor/outdoor cats, they are given a chance to return home.
- Cruelty to animals complaint and investigations
- Arrange for transportation of specimens to State Health Department Laboratory for rabies testing
For more information on any of the items listed above, please contact Edison Animal Control at (732) 248-7278 during normal business hours 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. If you have an animal control emergency after hours, please contact the Metuchen Police Department at 732-632-8500 .
To view more information from the Edison Animal Shelter, please CLICK HERE .
There are many types of wildlife in New Jersey, including Raccoons, Opossum, Deer, Coyotes, Fox, Garter Snakes, Groundhogs, and Squirrels. The best rule is to leave them alone, do not ever feed wildlife, and only report sick/injured wildlife to Animal Control. We co-habitate here with the wildlife, and if you are new to the area, it’s best to educate yourself on our furry neighbors. You can find more information here CLICK HERE .
Dog AND Cat licenses are required yearly. The 2018 Dog and Cat Licenses will be available at Borough Hall starting January 3rd, 2018 and must be purchased before February 28th. Licenses can be renewed by mail by filling out the application that is available online at our website www.metuchennj.org and be purchased daily from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday, at the Tax Office located in Borough Hall. If licenses are purchased after February 28th a $5.00 late fee will be assessed.
2018 licenses can be issued for any pet whose rabies vaccination expires after November 30 of the current license year. If your pet’s shot expires before November 30th of the current license year, the pet has to be re-vaccinated before a license can be reissued. Please check with your veterinarian to be sure it is safe to vaccinate.
Also, please contact the Metuchen Tax Office at 732-632-8511 if you no longer own a registered dog or cat or have any questions regarding licensing.
Free Rabies Clinics
Click here for a list of free rabies clinics in our area. All dogs must be on a non-retractable leash and be accompanied by an adult, and cats must be in carriers.
Where can I find more information about rabies?